Free 100GB online storage

koolkat

100 GB free cloud backup! Is it reliable? Is this too nice to be true? Does anyone have experience with this cloud? Many questions; does

anyone have an answer?

• SuperModerator
6 hours ago, mi amigo said:

100 GB free cloud backup! Is it reliable? Is this too nice to be true? Does anyone have experience with this cloud? Many questions; does

anyone have an answer?

I've got the answer ... if koolkat says so, then it's safe! :wink:

• Like 2
  • Administrator

I'd ask the speed limits. I remember one Chinese company was giving away 10 TB (yes ten terabytes) lifetime space. But the connection speed was slow like hll :lol:

• Like 1
  • SuperModerator
2 hours ago, draww said:

I'd ask the speed limits. I remember one Chinese company was giving away 10 TB (yes ten terabytes) lifetime space. But the connection speed was slow like hll :lol:

Oh, but that was because they were on slow-motion (like the soccer replays on TV after a goal) :D

• Like 2
19 hours ago, mi amigo said:

100 GB free cloud backup! Is it reliable? Is this too nice to be true?

The answer in this particular case probably is along the lines that they’re likely building a consumer base to better position their premium offers and forthcoming enterprise solutions. DropBox and Box also give you some free space to make it more likely you'll either buy a premium account or recommend them for enterprise purposes. But more generally…

The more general question that has puzzled me too about many free products and offers, is who pays for it? And the general answer is…

The web is full of free stuff – and I don’t mean pirated warez. The reasons for the offers vary widely, from malicious, thru commercially motivated or supported, to genuinely benevolent, even to obscure and incomprehensible, to me at least.

So I have been enjoying excellent legally free programs, including my AVIRA AV, Opera & Firefox browsers, Audacity audio editor, Paint.net image editor, CCleaner PC maintenance, 7-zip (un)packer, VLC media player, Foxit reader, to name but a handful. In fact, I’ve found these more satisfactory in the long run than warez, which can be at best unsupported with updates and at worst infected. For example, my free AVIRA doesn’t suddenly get blacklisted like my previous pirated Kaspersky used to, and it’s lighter on my limited resources.

So I suppose the best policy would be: If something is free, useful and clean, grab it while it goes, and let the developer worry how he’s going to get return for his work.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator

@koolkat kinda off topic but you might give SumatraPDF (for PDF, cbr, mobi, epub, etc.) a try. has really nice features and small in size (also portable support) :) 

• Like 3

Here’s a review of Degoo, it’s not doing too bad.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.degoo.android

• Like 1