No Signal from PC to TV with HDMI

My Dell XPS 8500 does not transmit HDMI video/audio to Vizio VL470M TV.

Don't know if this is a PC or TV problem.

Have tried 2 diffent HDMI cables and 3 different TV HDMI ports.

Was under the impression that the cable was all that was required.

Please advise.

beep22

Preliminary steps:

2014_03_12_102001.png

Connect the HDMI cable to the computer graphics card

• Turn off the TV and PC
  • Connect the cable
  • Turn on the TV and PC
  • Select the HDMI port you are using on the TV
  • Updated the video driver via Dell's driver website

I thank you so much.  Did not know I had an hdmi port on the graphics card, it is not labeled.  Did what you said and it shows my desktop without the icons on the tv but does not show the movie I am playing.  Guess I will have to get updated drivers as you said.  Will try my luck at that.

Thanks again.

beep22

If after updated the video driver and it does not work try:

You need to determine the video card (I think it is - Radeon HD 7770)

• Press the “windows†key and “r†at the same time.
  • Type “dxdiag†into the run window and press enter.
  • Go to the display tab in the dxdiag window.
  • Look for the Manufacturer name.

Download - AMD Catalyst Display Driver

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

Make sure to first uninstall the old drives, then run a register cleaner  e.g. CCleaner then re-start your PC, then install the new driver

How to uninstall AMD Catalyst Drivers in a Windows 8

• Move the cursor to the bottom-left of the desktop or Metro UI, and a Start “Box†will appear Right-click to open a context menu, and select Control Panel from the list to open it
  • Select Programs and Features
  • Select AMD Catalyst Install Manager
  • Click Change
  • When prompted by the AMD Catalyst Install Manager – InstallShield Wizard, select Express Uninstall ALL ATI Software.
  • NOTE! The Windows User Account Control (UAC) may ask, ‘Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?’ If it does – Click, Yes to continue with the uninstall process.
  • Click, OK to allow the AMD Catalyst Install Manager – InstallShield Wizard to remove ALL AMD driver and application components.
  • The AMD Catalyst Install Manager – InstallShield Wizard will prompt to uninstall itself. Click, Remove.
  • NOTE! A system restart is required to complete the uninstall process.

The desktop screen shows but nothing when I play a movie with VLC.  The Graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 640.  I downloaded and ins and installed a huge driver,  But still have the same results.  Desktop only showing.  The Display now shows the TV. 

Nothing I do will cause the movie to play

My internet was off all morning and when I finally got Mediacom, my ISP found out the trouble was my router had stopped working.  Luckily I have an old router which I installed and it is working but I cannot get into the 192. etc address to configure it and don't have the CD.  So I may get in a world of trouble.

Do you have any suggestions with Nvidia Geforce 640?

Thank you so much.

beep22

Did you download VLC from:

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

And is it the latest VLC - 2.1.3. Because there are a lots of "Fake" VLC Player download Sites

I removed my VLC, it probably was not legal because I got it because it was specifically for 64bit.  Anyhow removed and replaced with the latest 32bit one and it still will not see the TV.

I have run out of things to try, anymore suggestions?

Thanks

beep22

In my case with a GeForce GT 640 and Windows 7 64bit to get video play back on my TV I have to drag my media player onto the TV which is a second display for video to be played back on the TV.  So I would wager the process is similar in Windows 8.1

I am not sure just how to do this.  I turned on TV to HMDI port which shows the pc desktop.  I started the movie and tried to drag the VLC icon to the tv screen, but I could not.  I could get the curser to show on the tv screen but it did not seem to have the VLC in hand.

Please, more info, think this is the answer.  Should I start the movie before I try to move it?

beep22

I now have the VLC icon on the tv, when I click it shsows 3 small about 3x5" scenes to the movie, plus a couple of things I have open.

But I cannot get it to fill the screen or do anything except it has 3 bars beneath each of the moviescreen which seems to enable you to go to the right to a new screen, to the left to a previous screen.

beep22

Visual errors - usually the problem lies in display adapter drivers.

If updated the video driver does not help, then the next step:

Change VLC settings to make video work.

The easiest fix is usually to disable Accelerated video output/Overlay video output, which can be found first opening VLC -> Tools -> Preferences and then choosing Video. After you have unticked the Accelerated video output, press Save to save VLC settings and restart VLC after that to make sure changes are enabled. Image about Overlay video output setting

If disabling Overlay video output does not help, then the next step is to change video output module (aka VOUT). VLC -> Open Tools -> Preferences (set Show Settings to All) and then choosing Video -> Output module. You can use multiple output modules. Remember to press Save to save VLC settings and restart VLC after that to make sure changes are enabled.

Unticking Accelerated Video  did not fix it, so I tried to set it to show setting to all and chose video output modulle and even though I save it, it returns to former setting every time I open.  I have done this over and over for x number of times and it simply will not stick.

If I were to get another player, would that work?.  Any suggestions?

I am so sorry to be such a bother but I am in a jam. as you can see.

beep22

I now have the movie on my tv by starting the movie and dragging the whole thing to the tv.  If this is the only way to play videos on the tv, doubt I will use it that much.  Most pcs work simply by attaching the HDML cable between them.  This sucks.

Thanks so much for the great help.

beep22

I wonder if the old pc vga to tv still works...

it use to work with xp...

It's been a long time ago but. 

it might be valid...

Was on xp x86 via PC vga to TV vga using vlc media player

on the pc to play sound on film movies with vlc, it work well then...

I am hoping you may be able to solve the sound problem.  When I play the  dragged TV movie, the sound only comes from the pc.  The sound on the taskbar playback shows as follows:

Nvdia HDMI Output port 1
Not plugged in
Then port 2 shows same thing
VL470M-3 (this is my TV)
Ready
Speakers
Realtek high definition audio

It has little bars showing shound and the speakers are the only thing moving.

Expect there is a way to set this to play on the tv but so far have not found the solution.

beep22

It did not work.  Still no sound on tv.  While I had the movie on tv I checked the properties of the sound on the tv.  Nothing I tried would play sound on tv and the sound on the pc was cut off on all except Speakers.

UK666, I know you must be sick and tired of trying to fix my problems, so when you decide to quit, I will understand.  You have already done so much and I do appreciate it.

Thank you.

beep22

Geno, since you have the same graphics card and must drag movie to tv, does the sound work on tv ?  If so, how do you make that happen?

Thanks

beep22