20 Things I would say To My 20-Year-Old Self

• Andr-Tech

20 Things I would say To My 20-Year-Old Self

When I was 20, I used to think that I knew everything about life. I lived with the same delusion when I became 30. In this letter to myself, I want to speak to every 20-year-old.

Don’t think that it’s just another motivational letter to myself. It’s the lessons I wish I knew many years ago. 

Here are a few things I would say to my 20-year-old self, if I could hop in my DeLorean….

My Letter to 20-Year-Old Self:

1. You Won’t Always Get Things Done Your Way
Even though it’s hard to admit, you have to engrave this in your brain: “Things don’t always work according to your plan”. Sometimes, deviations are minor, sometimes life-changing. You must always have plan B.

2. Don’t Burn Bridges
You never know who you are going to need in the future. It might be your lecturer, the first boss, a cashier in a coffee-shop near your house. Always remember we live in a small world.

3. Choose the People You Surround Yourself with
Those surrounding you shape you. If you don’t want to act like someone from your inner circle, cross him/her out.

4. Learning Is an Everlasting Process
This isn’t just to do with career advice. The more you live, the more you wish you knew more. Keep evolving.

5. Never Postpone Life
Don’t wait until you finish college or start a new job. Time is passing faster than you can imagine. If you don’t learn how to live in the moment, you will never live at all.

6. Care about Your Mind and Body
You are your most precious asset. Don’t ignore red flags. Many problems don’t disappear on their own, no matter how much we wish they did.

7. You Can Say No
You can say “no” to everything. If something provokes stress and anxiety, cut it out from your life. Even if it seems hard, you will thank yourself later. 

8. Trust Your Gut
Your gut is your invisible guide through making decisions. You don’t always have to push yourself in a particular direction if it feels wrong. Advice to myself say “No” when you had the nagging feeling that something just isn’t right?

9. Don’t Bottle Up
You deserve to experience life in all its fullness. Emotions – even negative ones – are a part of it. In this letter to myself, I want to highlight that bad emotions aren’t always bad. Without them, we won’t feel the pleasure of good feelings.

10. Forgive
Let go of grudges and bitterness. Forgiveness brings a kind of peace that will allows you to focus on yourself and helps you go on with your life.

11. You Are Your Greatest Ally and Opponent
You are your best support, and you are your toughest challenge. Overpowering yourself is hard. There is no need to compare your results with others. Be better than you used to be. 

12. Always Stand Up
You will fall down. Unfortunately, this will happen many times. Sometimes these falls will seem fatal. And that’s normal. What you have to learn is to pull yourself together. 

13. Stay Passionate about What You Do
Whether you are going to open a printing shop or a café, remain passionate. Your inner power will lead to success. You are the only one who can light this flame.

14. Perceive Challenges as an Opportunity
Study have proved that positive thinking reduces worry and anxiety. As this letter to myself states, life will hit you hard. You will face many challenges. If you embrace them as an opportunity for improvement, they will be easier to overcome.

15. Acknowledge Your Freedom to Shape Your Life
You are the master of your life. Although you don’t have the power to control the circumstances, you take responsibility for your own response. 

16. Develop Self-Love
This is one of the most crucial things I would say. Love yourself. This way, you won’t need anyone to give you love. This is an unchanging principle of life.

17. Let Go Of Past Mistakes
Letting go of past mistakes and failures can lead to a sense of freedom and inner peace. It's important to acknowledge the past and learn from our mistakes, but it's equally important to let go of the negative emotions that hold us back.

18. Don’t let people manipulate you with guilt. 
Do your best and be kind, but the rest is up to them. It’s a cheap trick for someone to resort to when they realize they can’t control you. Cultures are built around it, and you’re not responsible for others feelings or their actions, they are. 

19. Have patience.
Keep working on that life skill of patience, since honestly, it’s something you’ll always struggle with. When you find yourself stuck in a moment, take a step back and a deep breath. Remember that this too shall pass. Most things are smaller than you think, and probably won’t matter in three months, anyway. 

20. Never take your health for granted.
It’s something I tend to do, when I feel good. Be grateful every day that you can move your body and feel well. For what it’s worth, you’re still feeling pretty great at 50. Appreciate it.

P.S. Note to myself: Even if you don’t follow any of it, you are still wonderful!

• Thanks 1
  • SuperModerator

It's all so true, and said by a very wise man. :good:

• Like 1