12 Weird but True - Strange and Unusual Tombstones

• Andr-Tech

12 Weird but True - Strange and Unusual Tombstones

Harry Edsel Smith of Albany, New York: Looked up the elevator shaft to see if the car was on the way down and it was. 

Ezekial Aikle in East Dalhousie Cemetery, Nova Scotia: Here lies Ezekial Aikle, Age 102. Only the good die young. 

Ribbesford, England, cemetery. Anna Wallace: The children of Israel wanted bread, and the Lord sent them blessing. Clark Wallace wanted a wife, and the Devil sent him Anna.

Thurmont, Maryland, cemetery: Here lies an Atheist, all dressed up and no place to go.

England, cemetery: Here lies John Bunn, he was killed by a gun. His name was not Bunn, but Wood; but Wood would not rhyme with gun, but Bunn would.

Ruidoso, New Mexico, cemetery: Here lies Johnny Yeast. Pardon him for not rising. 

Hartscombe, England, cemetery: On the 22nd of June, Jonathan Fiddle went out of tune.

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, cemetery: Here lies the body of Henry Blake, stepped on the gas instead of the brake.

Anna Hopewell's grave in Enosburg Falls, Vermont: Here lies the body of our Anna, done to death by a banana. It wasn't the fruit that laid her low, but the skin of the thing that made her go. 

England, cemetery: Remember man, as you walk by, as you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so shall you be, remember this and follow me. To which someone replied by writing on the tombstone: To follow you I'll not consent, until I know which way you went.

England. Spike Milligan's headstone: The epitaph reads Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite, Irish for "I told you I was ill."

As one of Britain’s most beloved and greatest comedians, it was only fitting therefore that when he died, he should have an equally funny epitaph. 

He had previously said he wanted his headstone to bear the words “I told you I was ill”. However, because Milligan was buried at St Thomas' churchyard, the diocese wouldn’t let him have the line written.

Luckily, his family found a way around the Church’s un-fun ruling. They translated the line into Gaelic. “Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite” was chiselled in, and the diocese was perfectly happy to let it stand to this day.

Spike-Milligan.png

Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Mel Blanc: the American voice actor who is probably best known today as the original voice behind classic cartoon characters like Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Tweety, Sylvester, Yosemite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn, and the Tasmanian Devil among others for the ‘Looney Tunes’ series.

Taking inspiration from the show’s sign-off, when Blanc died in 1989, his headstone in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery reads:

“That’s all folks.”

Mel-Blanc-Grave.png

• Thanks 1