Kamala Harris makes history

uk666

• Andr-Tech

Kamala Harris makes history with VP acceptance speech

ch.jpg%09

Kamala Harris has accepted her historic nomination as the US Democratic party's vice-presidential candidate, running with Joe Biden for the White House.

Personal  info

• Birth date: October 20, 1964.
  • Birth place: Oakland, California.
  • Her name comes from the Sanskrit word meaning "lotus" flower.
  • Father: Donald Harris, an economics professor.
  • Mother: Shyamala Gopalan Harris, a physician.
  • Marriage: Douglas Emhoff, a New York lawyer.
  • Education: Howard University, B.A. political science and economics, 1986; University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1989.
  • First African-American, first woman and first Asian-American to become attorney general of California.
  • First South Asian-American attorney general in the nation.
  • First Indian-American and second African-American woman to serve as a senator.
  • First African-American woman to represent California in the Senate.

The first black woman and South Asian American on a major US presidential ticket, she said she inherited a passion for public service from her immigrant mother, Shyamala Gopalan, a biologist.

"I keep thinking about that 25-year-old Indian woman, all of five feet tall, who gave birth to me. On that day, she probably could have never imagined that I would be standing before you now and speaking these words: I accept your nomination for vice-president of the United States of America."

As Joe Biden accepted the Democratic Party nomination for the White House on Thursday, he praised his running mate Kamala Harris during his acceptance speech, describing the senator from California as a “powerful voice” in the US as he pointed out to her “American story.”

“It will be the work of the next president to restore the promise of America to everyone. And I am not going to have to do it alone. I will have a great vice president at my side,” Biden said in his acceptance speech on Thursday.

The 77-year-old Biden talked about Harris’ diverse family, her parents are Jamaican and Indian, heritage and her perseverance to “overcome every obstacle she has ever faced.” “Her story is the American story. She knows about all of the obstacles thrown in the way of so many in our country. Women, Black women, Black Americans, South Asian Americans, immigrants. The left out and the left behind. She has overcome every obstacle she has ever faced,” he said on the last day of the four-day Democratic National Convention.

Mr Biden and Ms Harris will challenge Mr Trump and his Vice-President Mike Pence in the election on 3 November.

The coronavirus pandemic has forced Democrats to abandon the cheering throngs, fanfare and razzmatazz of the typical party convention in favour of a virtual event of pre-recorded and live speeches.

U.S. Senator Kamala Harris accepted the Democratic nomination for vice president on Wednesday:

• Thanks 1