Ruth Bader Ginsburg Quotes that Define the RBG Legacy

uk666

• Andr-Tech

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Quotes that Define the RBG Legacy

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was an American jurist. She served as the associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States from 1993 until her death in 2020. 

Ginsberg was the second woman to serve in the U.S Supreme Court. Ginsburg spent most of her career fighting for gender equality and women’s equality. She’d come to be popularly known as “the notorious RBG” for being ruthlessly blunt with her liberal views.

Ruth Ginsburg was born in the New York City borough of Brooklyn. Ginsburg attended Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, from where she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in arts. She later enrolled in the Harvard Law School, where she was one of the 9 women in a class of 500 men. 

At the start of her career, she encountered difficulties finding employment as a lawyer, mainly due to her gender. Ginsburg spent her career as a vociferous advocate of feminism and gender rights. Throughout her career, she’d fought many landmark cases and challenged numerous patriarchal laws in the U.S.

rbg.jpg

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg paved the way for so many as a fierce advocate for gender equality, disability and voter rights, and civil justice. Not all heroes wear capes...…..

1. About women on the court
"When I'm sometimes asked 'When will there be enough (women on the Supreme Court)?' and my answer is: 'When there are nine.' People are shocked. But there'd been nine men, and nobody's ever raised a question about that."
2. About men on the court
"They have never been a 13-year-old girl." -- After her male colleagues appeared indifferent about a girl's strip-search by school administrators.
3. To new citizens at a naturalization ceremony
"We are a nation made strong by people like you."
4. About marriage and work
"It helps sometimes to be a little deaf (in marriage and in) every workplace, including the good job I have now."
5. About being a woman
"My mother told me to be a lady. And for her, that meant be your own person, be independent."
6. About gender equality
"Women will have achieved true equality when men share with them the responsibility of bringing up the next generation."
7. On leadership
"Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you."
8. On dissent and justice
"Dissents speak to a future age. It's not simply to say, 'My colleagues are wrong and I would do it this way.' But the greatest dissents do become court opinions and gradually over time their views become the dominant view. So that's the dissenter's hope: that they are writing not for today, but for tomorrow."
9. On support for abortion rights
"This is something central to a woman's life, to her dignity. It's a decision that she must make for herself. And when government controls that decision for her, she's being treated as less than a fully adult human responsible for her own choices."
10. About her legacy
"To make life a little better for people less fortunate than you, that's what I think a meaningful life is. One lives not just for oneself but for one's community."

2020 has been a horrible year across the spectrum. Another Hero is gone. Ruth Bader Ginsburg stood up for ALL Of US. Rest in Peace.

• Like 2