Elizabeth Cotten - When I'm Gone (1979)

BamSec1

• SuperModerator

Elizabeth Cotten - When I'm Gone (1979)

ECm-V3-WIG.jpg

In the mid-1940s, Elizabeth Cotten (1895–1987) chanced to meet composer Ruth Crawford Seeger at a department store. They began to talk, and Seeger soon hired Cotten to work in the Seeger household. It was here that Cotten became motivated to pick up the guitar again—it had been so long she had forgotten she knew how to play—and she began playing professionally in her early eighties.

The material chosen for this recording includes songs and tunes from her childhood, such as "Praying Time Will Soon Be Over" and personal compositions like "Freight Train" and "When I'm Gone." She accompanies herself on her guitar, strung in the usual right-handed way yet played left-handed, with the guitar upside down. This album showcases her unique style, described by Mike Seeger as "A synthesis of turn-of-the-century parlour music, blues, church songs, and a little ragtime." Liner notes include extensive selections from conversations between Cotten, Mike, and Alice Gerrard.

♬ ♪ ♫ Elizabeth Cotten - Freight Train ♫ ♪ ♬

♬ ♪ ♫ Some Facts About Elizabeth Cotten ♫ ♪ ♬

Tracklist:
01. New Year's Eve (03:18)
02. Praying Time Will Soon Be Over (03:15)
03. Time To Stop Your Idling (02:34)
04. Gaslight Blues (04:51)
05. Jenny (02:42)
06. Street Blues (02:17)
07. Home Sweet Home (02:25)
08. Freight Train (03:12)
09. Casey Jones (01:49)
10. Willie (05:08)
11. Boddie's Song (02:18)
12. Wilson Rag (04:54)
13. When I'm Gone (04:48)

Total Playtime: 43:31

| Genre:  Folk, World & Country  | Label: Folkways Records | MP3: VBR0 (245~320kbps) | Lyrics: 1 (Freight Train) | Scans: Front @1500px | Size: 67.16 MB |

IMPORTANT!
To avoid pop-up/pop-under windows from the MirrorCreator site:
1. Right-click on the host you want to download from and select "Open in a new tab"
2. Right-Click again on the provided link and select again "Open in a new Tab"
3. Download from the host and close the 2 previously opened windows.
Doing so you will almost never have pop-up/pop-under windows.

HINT ... if you download from zippyshare
If Firefox is your browser, then right-click on the [DOWNLOAD] button and select "Save Link As..."
You won't have any pop-up window at all!

●

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

Password: forum-andr.net

Cheers, :hi:
Bam

• Like 1