Winamp Beta - an interesting rebirth

MMT

I am sure most of you have heard of (if not used) Winamp. It went by the wayside, apart from a community update, nothing had been heard of it until now - and you can Beta test.

Winamp is getting closer to release with a redesigned website, logo, and a new beta signup allowing users to soon test the upcoming version of the media player.

Before we streamed our music, users would rip their albums or download MP3s to listen on their computer using media players.

One of the most popular media players to play MP3s was Winamp, with its retro skins and animated visualizers that moved along with the music you were playing. However, Winamp had not seen any further development after its version 5.5 release in 2007.

In October 2018, after Winamp 5.8 was leaked online, the developers decided to publish the leaked version on their website Winamp.com to allow everyone to use it in all its nostalgic glory. Unfortunately, while Radionomy, the owners of Winamp, said they had big plans for Winamp, no further versions have been released since then.

The only new Winamp development we have seen has been by the Winamp Community Update Project (WACUP ) who released Preview version 1.0.20.7236 with bug fixes and improvements.

Winamp 5.8 Winamp 5.8

Winamp beta test starting soon

As first reported by Vosveteit, the lack of official development is about to change as the Winamp.com site received a redesign and a new logo was revealed for the media player this week.

Additionally, you can now visit winamp.com and sign up for a Winamp beta test, which should become available soon.

New Winamp logo New Winamp logo

While it is unknown what version will be released for testing and what bugs have been fixed, the Winamp Head of Product development, Jeremy Scheppers, told BleepingComputer that they are excited for the relaunch of the application.

HOME PAGE:

https://www.winamp.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator

AIMP is doing fine for years. I don't think I'm going back to WA, too little too late!

• Like 3

I was surprised when I read it. I had thought it was dead apart from the community. I am thinking, it is just a major upgrade or will it be rewritten to take in modern tech?

I am wondering how many, today, look on AIMP as suspect - being Russian built.

• Like 1