Learn a Foreign Language Online for Free

koolkat

The Germans say, a man who speaks two languages is worth two men. But in fact, there should be no need to convince anybody living in our globalized society of the value of speaking foreign languages. So I proceed directly to my tips.

Although there are premium paid versions of the courses with additional possibilities, you can get by for free, as I do. And as they are online, you don’t have to install anything.

You can choose any language, or more than one, from a large selection, and can decide your own pace for learning.

Lessons mainly consist of hearing and reading words and sentences, which you write or translate from or in to the language. They are often supplemented by images, stories, tests and tips. Your mistakes will be corrected.

Of course, such courses cannot fully replace a teacher. But they’ll get you a long way in reading, writing and comprehending the language as spoken by educated natives. And they are excellent as supplements to classes or for revisions.

If you want to develop a deeper understanding of the language, it is further advisable to supplement the courses with a proper book on grammar.

Probably the best known and in my opinion the best method is DuoLingo.

https://www.duolingo.com/learn

It offers a large choice of languages, and students number several tens of millions internationally.

The method is very well organized, and uses various techniques to keep the student motivated, such as leagues with classifications (scoreboards), distinctions for achievements, experience points, “lingots” (currency usable in their shop) etc. The learning process becomes fun and even addictive.

You can also discuss with others anything that interests you in an associated forum.

Honorable mention is given to Memrise, which is good at preparing you for the lessons but not as well structured.

https://www.memrise.com/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1