Whale Save Subway Train

uk666

• Andr-Tech

Whale Save Subway Train

2.jpg

Crashed subway train lands on giant sea creature sculpture.

A subway train in the Netherlands was saved from a spectacular crash when it burst through buffers and landed on an artwork in the shape of a whale tail.

The train "shot through on approach" to De Akkers station around 12.30 a.m. local time, RET, the transport operator in the city of Rotterdam, said in a statement Monday.

"To our relief, the metro operator got out of the vehicle unharmed. He is doing well under the circumstances. There were no passengers present," the company said.

The train burst through the buffers at the station, which is at the southernmost end of the Rotterdam metro system, and would have crashed more than 30 feet to the ground had it not landed on one of two whale tails installed by architect Maarten Struijs almost 20 years ago.

"I was surprised, I didn't expect this. Buffers are always strong enough," Struijs told CNN. "So, I am looking forward to the results of the investigation of this crash."

He explained that trains drop off passengers at the station before continuing to a parking area, which is where the incident occurred.

The driver was unhurt and there were no passengers on board.

The tracks were built on a viaduct in an existing park, and local people asked for the whale tails to be installed as compensation for the loss of space in the park.

1.jpg

Carly Gorter, a spokeswoman for the authority, told CNN that the first step is to stabilize the train so it doesn't fall from its new perch on the artwork, which is named "Saved by the Whale's Tail."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's said that Jonah, who was sunbathing on top of the tail, was crushed!

• Haha 1