How to add program shortcuts to the Windows Run box

humble3d

How to add program shortcuts to the Windows Run box

While I do not use the Run box regularly on my system, I do use it occasionally, for instance to launch the Windows Registry Editor, MS Config, or the Command Prompt.

Most programs on the other hand are launched from the Windows Taskbar -- I'm using Windows 7 and 8.1 -- which is quite comfortable.

If you are using the run box regularly, you may be interested in finding out more about its inner workings. For example: which programs can be run from it right away, and which do you need to add first before they become available.

You may notice that you can run the Firefox web browser from the run box by typing firefox in it and hitting the enter key, but other programs, such as Skype won't.

Two parameters define which programs can be run from the run box automatically and which are not recognized.

First, the system path. If a folder has been added to the system path variable, all of its executable programs can be launched from the run box.

environment-variables.png
To edit the environment variables, do the following:
Tap on the Windows key to bring up the start menu or start screen.
Type Environment and select "Edit environment variables for your account" or "Edit the system environment variables", or similar depending on which operating system you use.
Locate "path" under User variables or System variables, and double-click it.
Here you can add additional path information.

The menu is not the easiest to work with, as you cannot modify the size of the window at all. Use a third party program like Rapid Environment Editor instead which makes things more comfortable.

Second, the Windows Registry. Individual applications can be added to the Registry so that can be loaded from the run box.

Tap on the Windows-key and type regedit.exe to open the Registry Editor.
Browse to the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
Here you find all programs that you can launch even if they are not located in a folder that is defined in the Environment Variables.

You will find Firefox, 7-Zip, Aimp, Internet Explorer and many more...

To add one, simply right-click on App Paths and select New > Key.

Name it like the executable you want to add, e.g. firefox.exe.

Right-click the newly created key and select New > String Value from the menu and name it Path.

Add the path to the Program folder as its value.

Double-click on the Default value and add the path to the main executable file (basically the same directory as in the Path string, but with the file name and extension added to it.

app-paths.png

If you want things to be more comfortable here, use a third party program like App Paths which allows you to manage all programs listed here in its interface.

You need to restart after both operations.

Another option that you have is to use the lightweight Add2Run, which enables you to add any application of your choosing to the Run Command.

Note: Add2Run requires the Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0.

to add a new program, select the file from your local hard drive, enter an alias for it, and hit the Add button afterwards. You can then start the program from the run box using the selected alias.

_http://www.ghacks.net/2013/12/22/add-program-shortcuts-windows-run-box/?

Add2Run requires the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 which is available as a free download...

• Like 4
  • Andr Legend

Windows 7 made it easy to search the start menu, but run box has become a habit for me.

Been using it ever since I can remember.

Here's an easy way to launch programs and batch files using run box.

Just create a shortcut of the application and drop it into C:\windows\system32 folder.

You can rename the shortcut to whatever you want.

e.g.

Create a shortcut of Firefox and rename it FF.lnk.

Drop the shortcut into system32 folder.

To launch Firefox, just type FF in run box.

You can even create shortcut of a batch script and drop it into system32 folder.

Don't forget to backup all the .LNK files from your system32 folder before you re-install windows.

It will save the trouble of doing it all over again.

• Like 3

Windows 7 made it easy to search the start menu, but run box has become a habit for me.

Been using it ever since I can remember.

Here's an easy way to launch programs and batch files using run box.

Just create a shortcut of the application and drop it into C:\windows\system32 folder.

You can rename the shortcut to whatever you want.

e.g.

Create a shortcut of Firefox and rename it FF.lnk.

Drop the shortcut into system32 folder.

To launch Firefox, just type FF in run box.

You can even create shortcut of a batch script and drop it into system32 folder.

Don't forget to backup all the .LNK files from your system32 folder before you re-install windows.

It will save the trouble of doing it all over again.

Many thanks...  :)

• Like 1