How Old Is Grandma

uk666

• Andr-Tech

How Old Is Grandma

Stay with this — the answer is at the end.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.

The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandmother replied, “Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

• Pizza Hut.
  • Apple.
  • McDonald.
  • Starbucks.

Man had not yet invented:

• Pantyhose.
  • Mobile phone.
  • tape decks.
  • 3-D movie.
  • Nonstick pan.

In my day:

• “Grass” was mowed.
  • “Coke” was a cold drink.
  • “Rock music” was your grandmother’s lullaby.
  • “Aids” were helpers in the Principal’s office.
  • “Chip” meant a piece of wood.
  • “Hardware” was found in a hardware store.
  • “Software” wasn’t even a word.
  • “Earrings” were only worn by women.

In my time:

• We got married first, and then lived together.
  • Every family had a father and a mother.
  • Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, “Sir.” And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, “Sir.”
  • We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, day-care centres, and group therapy.
  • Our lives were governed by the good judgment and common sense.
  • We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
  • Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
  • We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
  • Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
  • Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started.
  • Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends.
  • The term ‘making out’ referred to how you did on your school exam.
  • We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
  • Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
  • And if you didn’t want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards. 
  • You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600, but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.
  • And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.
  • Children as young as 8 worked in factories

1950s Pop Culture

In the 1950s, televisions became something the average family could afford, and by 1950 4.4 million U.S. families had one in their home. The Golden Age of Television was marked by family-friendly shows like I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Twilight Zone and Leave It To Beaver.

In movie theaters, actors like John Wayne, James Stuart, Charlton Heston, Marlon Brando, Grace Kelly, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe dominated the box office.

The Cold War
The tension between the United States and the Soviet Union, known as the Cold War, was another defining element of the 1950s. Many people in the United States worried that communists, or “subversives,” could destroy American society from the inside as well as from the outside.

Between 1945 and 1952, Congress held 84 hearings designed to put an end to “un-American activities” in the federal government, in universities and public schools and even in Hollywood.

These hearings did not uncover many treasonous activities–or even many communists–but it did not matter: Tens of thousands of Americans lost their jobs, as well as their families and friends, in the anti-communist “Red Scare” of the 1950s.

What were the issues of the 1952 election?

On election day, Eisenhower won a solid majority of the female vote. Eisenhower campaigned by attacking "Korea, Communism, and Corruption" that is, what the Republicans regarded as the failures of the outgoing Truman administration to deal with these issues.

The postwar booms

Historians use the word “boom” to describe a lot of things about the 1950s: the booming economy, the booming suburbs and most of all the so-called “baby boom.” This boom began in 1946, when a record number of babies–3.4 million–were born in the United States. About 4 million babies were born each year during the 1950s. 

The Civil Rights Movement

A growing group of Americans spoke out against inequality and injustice during the 1950s. African Americans had been fighting against racial discrimination for centuries; during the 1950s, however, the struggle against racism and segregation entered the mainstream of American life. For example, in 1954, in the landmark Brown v. Board of Education case, the Supreme Court declared that “separate educational facilities” for black children were “inherently unequal.”

In December 1955, a Montgomery activist named Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give her seat on a city bus to a white person. Her arrest sparked a 13-month boycott of the city’s buses by its black citizens, which only ended when the bus companies stopped discriminating against African American passengers. Acts of “nonviolent resistance” like the boycott helped shape the civil rights movement of the next decade.

Shaping the ’60s

The booming prosperity of the 1950s helped to create a widespread sense of stability, contentment and consensus in the United States. However, that consensus was a fragile one, and it splintered for good during the tumultuous 1960s.

How old do you think I am? 

This person would be only 68 years old, Born in 1952.

46 minutes ago, uk666 said:

This person would be only 68 years old, Born in 1952

Hah! a youngster, then.

Maz (bluescope)  who (vaguely) remembers the atom bomb at Hiroshima through adults talking. Someone said "she remembers The Alamo. Shoot that man, please.

I am woman, hear me giggle!

• Like 1